Learning disabilities may appear in the two main aspects of the learning process, namely:
– Acquire basic learning skills such as reading, writing, and arithmetic.
– Use the basic learning skills and employ it according to the age requirements of the educational and skills, such as: reading longer texts that are more complexand where the student is confrontedwith reading problems, such as slow reading, analysis difficulty of the long and complex words; and therefore difficulties in reading comprehension.
The significant difficulties caused by the lack of skills or employing them are:
– Dyslexia:a specific learning disability that affects reading and related language-based processing skills. The severity can differ in each individual but can affect reading fluency, decoding, reading comprehension, recall, writing, spelling, and sometimes speech and can exist along with other related disorders. Dyslexia is sometimes referred to as a Language-Based Learning Disability.
– Dysgraphia: a specific learning disability that affects a person’s handwriting ability and fine motor skills. Problems may include illegible handwriting, inconsistent spacing, poor spatial planning on paper, poor spelling, and difficulty composing writing as well as thinking and writing at the same time.
– Dyscalculia:a specific learning disability that affects a person’s ability to understand numbers and learn math facts. Individuals with this type of LD may also have poor comprehension of math symbols, may struggle with memorizing and organizing numbers, have difficulty telling time, or have trouble with counting.
– Difficulties versus the problems:not every gap in education stems from learning disabilities; in many cases, the problem lies in the teaching methods failure, or the lack of communication between the teacher and the student, or even the teacher’sinability to transmit the subject properly, and at times failure can occur because of the great psychological pressure suffered by the student related to family or social reasons (divorce, death, violence…).
In general, for us to consider a student to be one of the learning disabilities category, we have to deny at least the following five points, namely: he doesn’t suffer from mental delay, sensory disabilities, physical disabilities, he’s not subject to an environmental deprivation, he was not exposed to the failureof teaching methods, and in spite of this, the student is not making progress in education.